IT Asset Management
What Is IT Asset Management?
IT asset management is not a spreadsheet of corporate devices with serial numbers. Managing your IT assets means having complete visibility into the state of both the hardware and software that is used as part of your business processes. Obtaining visibility into all of your devices can be difficult to envision, but is easily attainable with the right tools.
The Benefits of Great IT Asset Management Software
There are many benefits that the right IT asset management software can bring to your business:
IT asset management software improves the quality of your IT services and helps your business be more productive.
IT asset management software helps justify IT purchases.
IT asset management software helps lower IT procurement costs and bolster IP procurement planning.
IT asset management software protects your business from breaches by catching potential IT asset vulnerabilities before cyber criminals do.
IT asset management software provides automated information on the proper retirement and disposal of assets.
IT asset management software provides a clear understanding of the costs and valuation associated with your assets.
Major Business Losses from Not Having the Right IT Asset Management System
There are many risks associated with not having the right IT asset management software for your business:
- Breaches and attacks. Cyber criminals are looking for things you aren’t seeing in your network. And what you don’t see can cost you—your money and your reputation.
- Software and hardware expirations and failures, causing problems in day-to-day business operations.
- No oversight over IT assets on your network leaves you open to vulnerabilities in many forms and from many places.
- Increasing IT asset vulnerability over time.
- Lower quality of IT services, causing an unnecessary drop in productivity.
- No ways to justify IT purchases and help standardize the procurement process.
- No clear understanding of the true costs and valuation associated with IT assets.
Five Reasons Why Some Business Don’t Have the Right IT Asset Management Solution
- They are using a spreadsheet to track IT assets, which is neither effective nor efficient.
- They are waiting for something to happen. Often, it’s not until a serious attack occurs that companies take action.
- They don’t believe that IT asset management is important to the business.
- They don’t have the resources to dedicate to an IT asset management team.
- They have a limited budget and are worried that most IT asset management solutions are too expensive.
The Top Five Benefits of Integrating IT Asset Management and Cybersecurity
It’s a fact of life for small and medium-sized businesses: IT managers either waste their precious time assembling a complete, detailed view of their network security or they don’t do it at all. For those that do, so much time is spent bringing the data together in one place that little time is left to analyze and react to anything but the most obvious alerts. It begs the question: Why spend countless hours pulling from a myriad of distinct sources of data, manually correlating disparate data types and formats, and trying to connect the dots?
A fragmented approach leaves your company vulnerable to surprises, or worse, cyber attacks. What if you could easily get a unified view of your network and security combined, to maximize visibility into everything happening on the network and strengthen your defenses against threats? Here are the top reasons why small businesses should bring together their IT management and security programs.
- Maximize IT Control & Policy Enforcement with Automation. As the number of devices connected to your business’s network grows, managing those IT assets can be more complex and dynamic. Take corrective action, in real time, when your IT policies are violated or in danger of being violated.
- Gain a Centralized View of Employee Activity & Asset Status. A unified view of your IT activity and utilization shines a light on threats related to fraudulent software, malware, misuse of proprietary data, and ransomware. IT managers with real-time information understand where a threat came from, what it looks like, and where it went on your network.
- Manage All Software & Hardware Assets and Patches. IT asset management and patch management are daily aspects of an IT manager’s work. For growing companies, it should be frictionless and easy to manage.
- Receive Timely Security Alerts. Be informed as soon as suspicious behavior or policy violations occur. Get rapid contextual alerts that you can act upon in real time.
- Defend Against Malware & Ransomware. Know where a threat first entered your network and rapidly establish IT asset management controls to ensure that your company is not exposed in the future.
LanScope Cat combines the best of both worlds at the endpoint: IT asset management and IT security. We have partnered with Cylance® Inc. to bring our customers best-in-class endpoint protection by integrating Interfocus with CylancePROTECT. Using machine-learning algorithms to identify malware in an approach that has been called disruptive, CylancePROTECT brings critical security capabilities to your business. LanScope Cat enables you to know who is doing what, when and that threat activity, whether intentional or accidental, will be stopped.